Saturday, May 23, 2009

And just like that

Medical school is over.

Yesterday was my last day. As last days go, it was lovely. Conference was canceled, so my residents and I lingered over lunch at an outdoor campus cafĂ©. Feeling expansive, they sent me home early. I walked out of the hospital and back into the sun, and I thought about how the next time I walk through those double doors, I’ll be a doctor.

Today, I feel strangely weightless. My guys are gone for the holiday weekend, camping at Little Basin with some friends. I took the opportunity to sleep in ... then I got a facial at La Belle ... I'm sitting at a coffee shop, wondering what I'm supposed to do with myself now. I mean, seriously, now what? It's disorienting: at age 29, after 22 years of school, I'm no longer a student.

Of course, in the most practical sense, now what? is a simple question. This weekend, I'll rest some and undertake a few preparations for our trip to Indiana next week. This month, I'll play with my son, spoil my husband, and try like heck to get organized for my internship. And next month, of course, I'll walk back through those hospital doors. But today, I think the thing to do is just to sit still and try to absorb the in-between-ness I'm feeling right now.

In that spirit, here are some pictures Brian took of me and Sam at the park last week:







4 comments:

lissawi said...

Congratulations! Enjoy some time pampering yourself. What a treat! (And well deserved for all your hard work :).

Chatfield Family said...

Strange to think that yet another chapter of lofe has closed. The book is not over though, and life moves on once again. Enjoy your transition. After 22 years, you finally made it! Sam is completely adorable, by the way.

Camstah said...

Hi! Saw the link to your blog on the mommd forums, and was wondering what the structure of the part-time residency program is you managed to set up (and how did you go about getting it..and how did it work with the match?). Your baby is adorable btw. :)

Emily2651 said...

Camstah, I haven't achieved a part-time residency yet -- I'm not even an intern until 25 June! My plan is to settle in and get a couple of rotations under my belt, then make an appointment with the PD and just ... ask! Whew ... wish me luck. :)

PS. Re: Sam, thanks. :) I kinda think so too!