Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mama mojo

As much as I am loving being Sam's mother, there are certain aspects to my new life that leave a little to be desired. The one that's bugging me most right at this moment is the very limited time I have (make? take?) to maintain my appearance. I haven't had a haircut in six months. I haven't waxed my eyebrows in nearly that long. No pedicure since the beginning of the summer. And my chronic lack of sleep is really messing with my skin. Not to mention: I have been to the gym exactly twice since Sam was born and I still have seven or eight pounds to lose.

Not a pretty picture.

To be fair, this slow slide into frumpery started long before Sam was born. During my third year of medical school, the busiest year, I neglected my workouts and my eyebrows. And my wardrobe has been in an ever-increasing state of paucity and disrepair for years. So really, Sam's arrival has only exacerbated an already disturbing trend.

Well, I've had enough. I can't diet right now because I'm breastfeeding. But the other stuff can and will be addressed. Here are my beauty resolutions:

1. Haircut. Not a trim. A cut with real style. Something that requires blowdrying.
2. Brow wax and pedicure. Bring Sam along if I have to.
3. Change up my skin care routine. It's time to starting using a richer eye cream and a better daily moisurizer. I'm not 18 anymore.
4. New hip-er glasses. Actually hip would probably give me whiplash, but I can go for hip-er.
5. Department store "make-over" and splurge on at least one new make-up item.
6. A pretty new dress ... not for special occassions. Something I can actually wear.

I'll report back on my progress.

No comments: