Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Scheduling

So I have a tentative schedule for next year. There's clearly something wrong with my schedule because it includes five -- count them, people, FIVE -- weeks of vacation. That won't last. My other beef with the schedule as it stands is that my first rotation is geriatrics, which is BY FAR the cushest intern month at Stanford. And I have it first! DRAG. It would be lovely beyond words to have a geri-vacation sometime in the middle of the winter when it's really needed. Instead, I get it in July. I'm already all rested up! And it's too early in the year to use the geri month as Step 3 study time. Other lowlights of the schedule: Thanksgiving and Christmas on call. And I get to finish off the year with back-to-back wards months. Honestly, it's hard to find much to like about this schedule. Other than the five weeks of vacation. Which, like I said, won't last. In any event, here's the run-down:

1. Geriatrics: 1 week
2. Vacation: 2 weeks
3. Coronary care unit: 4 weeks
4. Rheumatology: 2 weeks
5. Endocrinology: 2 weeks
6. VA ICU: 4 weeks
7. VA wards: 4 weeks
8. University wards: 4 weeks
9: Nephrology: 3 weeks
10: Vacation: 1 week
11. Oncology: 4 weeks
12: University wards: 4 weeks
13. Vacation: 2 weeks
14. Infectious disease: 2 weeks
15: County hospital wards: 4 weeks
16. VA wards: 4 weeks

On the upside, there's no neurology. And no night float. And no emergency medicine. And as it stands, I never have more than three call months in a row. So I suppose it could be worse. But really not that much worse.

This residency thing is seeming less and less like a good idea.

In other news, our program director -- widely regarded as a Force for Good in the universe -- is resigning come September.

Pffffft.

2 comments:

Allison M. said...

First I laughed at baby Sammy in a helmet. It makes his head look so small. Is he on a tricycle or on the back of your bike? Is he too old to still call him baby Sammy- b/c we'll be at his wedding like Congratulations Baby Sammy and wife!!!

Then I laughed at pfft because that is a fart noise. Still funny.

Emilee, to me your schedule doesn't look so bad- in fact it looks pretty fun! I like that you get to test out all the waters to see if you are drawn to anything...as a doctor/a doer- and not just as a learner.

What are University wards and County hospital wards. Cause those don't sound great. Otherwise it looks neat! 4 weeks in oncology gives you so much time to do there ...and 3 weeks in nephrology! Go you girl! And to finish up in VA- does that mean veterans? If so, you are in for some cool stories and an awesome time to exercise some emotion and love. Also too you will have such a good knowledge of the stuff that Andrew will be dealing with - with his troops. Not with himself- because he is invincible.

wait...VA wards twice? this can't mean veterans. What does this mean.

ps- I like infectious disease. It's like the show Mystery Diagnosis. Which I watch and figure out before they tell me. Google. Anyone can be a doctor...

:) just kidding.

Emily2651 said...

(My longest comment ever!)

Helmet because we got a Burley and he's going to ride in it -- starting next week!

Pfft = fart? I meant a mouth kind of noise.

It's not so much a matter of testing the waters. I know where I'm headed in terms of subspecialty and most of my colleagues do too. The elective rotations are really just part of our training. When I'm a nephrologist, I'll have plenty of patients, for example, with endocrine diseases.

University/county wards are just general internal medicine in-patient months. Like, patients with pneumonia or liver failure or whatever. Overnight in the hospital every fourth day. BLAST.

Oncology is total suck-a-tude. It's in-patient. Very sick/dying patients. Very long hours.

VA = Veterans' Affairs. It's our local VA hospital; affiliated with my university hospital.

I hope Andrew is invincible too.

PS. I hate infectious disease.
PPS. Definitely anyone can be a doctor. So far, this hasn't been so hard.

xoxo