Sunday, December 7, 2008

Girly man

Why does everyone think my baby son is a girl?

Today, Sam and I went to Target and as we were leaving the store, we stopped to talk with the Salvation Army volunteer collecting Christmas donations. She referred to Sam again and again using female pronouns and I didn't bother to correct her. For what it's worth, he was wearing denim overalls, a shirt covered in little cartoon bugs and a navy blue hoodie. Gender-neutral, maybe ... but hardly girly. Then, as we walked to our car, a woman walking the opposite direction caught his eye and said, "Que linda!"

Sigh.

This happens all too often and I think it's strange. My feeling is, sure, it's hard to tell if a baby is a boy or a girl. If the clothes don't offer sufficient clue, ask. But geez, when my kid is dressed in head to toe blue, don't say she-she-she! My favorite of these conversations happened at a Starbucks in Oregon. I had Sam perched in his Baby Bjorn and I was chatting up a stranger as we waited for our drinks. It went like this:

Her: *she-she-she*
Me: *he-he-he*

... repeat and repeat ...

Her: Wait ... is your baby a boy? Are you sure?

For anyone else wondering: yep. I'm sure. Short of karyotyping my kid, I'm sure.

Here are a couple of recent pictures. Does he look like a girl?





1 comment:

lissawi said...

I don't think he looks girly! I think he is adorable! I used to get that all the time when Noah was a baby too. Fortunately they get more hair and start to look more "manly" as they get to be toddlers. I think he is just too cute!