Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas baking

I can't quite figure out why there are no cookies in my house. I've done more than my usual holiday baking over the past couple of weeks, and there isn't so much as a crumb to be found.

I'm on a ginger kick these days and my baking reflects that. So far this season, I've made white chocolate gingerbread blondies and chocolate chunk sour cherry cookies. (Long gone!) Alison and I did our traditional baking for care packages: sugar cookies, chocolate ginger cookies and cranberry shortbread. The cookies that remained after I mailed our packages were gone in a day or two and we've been left with a serious Christmas cookie shortage for the past week. To compensate, I made chocolate dipped gingerbread men (are you getting the pattern here?) for a parish meeting earlier this week ... but those were gone by Day Two as well. Now I'm contemplating some more baking this afternoon ... I have another ball of gingerbread dough in my fridge, but at the same time, I'm wondering what untried ginger recipes could possibly be left in my cookie cookbook.

I need some inspiration. What kinds of cookies are you enjoying right now? And no pine nuts, please. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Sarah in Minnesota :)

We're baking some traditional Scandinavian cookies tonight: krumkake and sanbakkels from our Great Scandinavian Baking Book. Since my work didn't do an cookie exchange this year, I was just thinking that we might need to make a couple of other varieties as well. Thanks for some good ideas!