Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Seattle

I'm here in Seattle with my mother and my son and the night is looking up. We're tucked into bed, all three of us, post-room service. I'm nursing my glass of wine and plugged into the free Seattle wifi. The drive up from Corvallis is a dwindling memory, but it was pretty awful: torrential sheets of rain and appalling traffic. While stopped in a spontaneous parking lot overlooking the Space Needle, we listened as a radio announcer very helpfully alerted us to a flood warning "over the next seven minutes". Needless to say, we took all appropriate precautions for at least eight minutes. All told, it took six and half hours to make a trip that Google maps promised me could be dispatched in less than four and a half. So far, Seattle is not making a good impression. Despite this, I'm optimistic about tomorrow. I've got a hotel shuttle to the UW Medical Center lined up, and I've already scouted my morning cup of coffee. It's my first interview at a top program that isn't my home program, so I'm very curious to see how it all pans out. For now, though, time to sleep.

No comments: